Day 3: New Year Reception at Christiansborg Palace

Wednesday, January 6th


Queen Margrethe hosted the third and last new year reception at Christiansborg Palace for Officers from the Armed Forces and the Emergency Management Agency, I., II. and III. social class, and invited representatives of major union confederations and patronages. Traditionally she arrived, on her own this year, in the 175 year old gold coach. Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary did also attend the reception.

Program:
  • 9:00 am. Queen Margrethe drove from Amalienborg Castle to Christiansborg Palace in the gold coach.
  • Queen Margrethe, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary arrived to Christiansborg Palace.
  • 9:30 am. Queen Margrethe, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary greeted Officers from the Armed Forces.
  • 10:00 am. Queen Margrethe, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary greeted the Emergency Management Agency, social class I., II. 
  • 10:30 am. Queen Margrethe, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary greeted the Emergency Management Agency, social class III. 
  • 12:30 pm. Queen Margrethe, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary greeted the invited representatives of major union confederations and patronages.
  • 1:30 pm. Queen Margrethe drove from Christiansborg Palace to Amalienborg Castle in the gold coach.

I think many of you expected me to write about the last new year reception yesterday and I'm sorry if I disappointed you. Sometimes even an important post has to wait. So now I hope I will be able to write one of the best blog entires, you hopefully will enjoy. As the two first days I was really excited about this last reception held at Christiansborg Palace in Copenhagen. Each one of the three new year receptions are in some way special because on January 1st they celebrate the biggest night: New Years Eve, on January 5th we get to see all the amazing and colourful national costumes when representatives from many different countries are invited and on the 6th of January is tradition that Queen Margrethe and Prince Henrik arrive to the reception in the 175 year old gold coach, you find my previous post about the coach here, but this year Margrethe drove the gold coach on her own you already know the reason why. In Copenhagen they got a little snow and actually it snowed when the Queen drove from Amalienborg to Christiansborg which gave us the most wonderful pictures: a smily Queen in her gold coach in snowy weather. Almost magical! In the meantime all the invited guests arrived who were served a cop of coffee. Last year I visited the palace with Mette from Royalista who wrote about the visit in this post. Magnificent rooms, the exact same rooms where the guests were served coffee when they waited to meet the royal family members. Shortly before Margrethe arrived, her son and daughter-in-law arrived to Christiansborg Palace to participate in this years last new year reception. No more new year celebration till next year. Before we end this post too soon we of course need to talk about clothes. It continues below the picture which by the way is taken when the Crown Prince couple arrived by car from Amalienborg Castle.


Queen Margrethe reiterated her success from the day before by wearing the same Jørgen Bender dress and matching blue jacket which features brown fur. A suit she has been wearing for quite some years and is absolutely great because it keep her warm when she drives the gold coach. Often we also see her wear a large fur coat to keep warm on the short ride. The coach has no heating devices and January is differently not hot in Denmark. Because of the pretty large orders on her chest, Margrethe only wore rather small jewelleries. Like her mother-in-law, Mary was dressed in the most beautiful navy blue coloured gown. I'm sure that has been planned in advance before the reception. At first I had no idea which dress Mary was wearing yesterday. It didn't look like anything I have seen before and yet it reminded me of something from another new year reception. Maybe I was wrong? Luckily I have the best of friends who always are ready to help me. The second I was told which dress it reminded me of, there was no doubt in my mind: because Mary dazzled in the dress she wore last year on the same day! What confused me is the fact that the dress has been altered a bit, just a little bit, because the significant beaded neckline is now removed and makes space for something just as beautiful. A pearl necklace created by Marianne Dulong, last seen in October 2010 when she was pregnant with Prince Vincent and Josephine which by the way celebrate their birthday tomorrow! Did you remember this necklace? I recognized it right away. From the same jewellery designer Mary wore earrings, a stunning black pearl bracelet and a ring I strongly believe is from Dulong too. Well, back to the dress. Everyone tells that it's from Prada. Sorry, but I hardly believe that. Me or no one else know for sure. Therefor it's important to me to tell that it has been proven at all. Remember that. Of course it is a possibility but often her evening gown like this is from a tailor. The blue Order of the Elephant and the colour of her dress is simply dazzling. Very elegant, especially at the arrival when she wore a cashmere cape in more or less the same dark navy blue colour. Lurdes convinced me that it is the exact same as the one she wore when Margrethe celebrated her 75th birthday and was celebrated in the City Hall driving a coach with Frederik and Mary. What do you say, isn't it the same? Unfortunately, I have never been able to identify it. She accessorized her outfit with black satin pumps from Prada, a bright blue Quidam clutch and white gloves. Take a notice of her hairstyle and makeup; such a beauty she is! I want to thank you so much for following the new year reception here at Style of Mary along with me. It has been a pleasure for me to share all of this with you and I already look forward to January 2017.


Earrings: Marianne Dulong Ocean Earrings, 18K Gold w. Tahitian Pearls DKK 7,400
Bracelet: Marianne Dulong Catena
Necklace: Marianne Dulong
Ring: Marianne Dulong
Clutch: Quidam Blue Alligator Clutch
Shoes: Prada Satin Grey Pumps $163.50 (pre-owned)

2 kommentarer:

  1. I love this gown--its color is rich and the fabric heavy. In my Mary Obsession piece I wrote about being an admirer of how the crown princess is always well pulled together--the last photo in your piece shows precisely what I what I am talking about. Her makeup is flawless, her hair coiffed beautifully and perfectly; her dress and accessories perfectly coordinated and well suited for the occasion. This is the type of photo I would put on the mirror of my dressing table to remind me to strive to do the same for myself each time I am getting ready for any occasion.

    Thank you Henriette for always putting together these lovely posts of the beautiful crown princess.

    All the best.

    RW.

    SvarSlet
  2. Royalwatcher, this is one of the most well spoken comments I have ever read! But when it comes to Mary and especially this beautiful outfit, it is not hard to find words to praise her. It's days like these, I get even more desire to write new blog entires and of course people like you :)

    Thanks for reading despite the fact that I sometimes write things that make no sense and thanks for your support.

    SvarSlet