1972 - 2024


Queen Margrethe's annual New Years Eve speech have gathered people for 52 years. It is a tradition for most Danish families to gathered around the television and listen to the Queen sum up the past year. It is always a guess what topics will be included in her speech. Bets are made. Her speech is indeed an important part of our New Years Eve traditions in Denmark. 

On December 31st 2023, Queen Margrethe gave her very last New Years Eve speech. She announced her abdication as Queen of Denmark after 52 years. She will pass on the throne to Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary on January 14th 2024. The same day she inherited the Danish throne after her father in 1972.

Her abdication then means that we will soon have a new King, Queen and Crown Prince! What a year to come.




2 comments:

  1. This comes as a real shock. I am not Danish, but European. I only know her as Denmark's Queen. I do remember her mother and father and siblings of course. I hope CP Fredrik will be up for the job. He has big shoes to fill. I wish the future King and Queen of Denmark the best for their future. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think it comes as a shock to all of us. She always said, she would be Queen till she died. I truly think her decision is remarkable and I think Frederik (and Mary) will do a wonderful job. She he/they have something to live up to, but I am sure they will. They already made their mark as Crown Prince Couple.

      Delete