Get a basic wardrobe like Mary's

If you are follower of this blog you probably have a passion for fashion as well. One of the reasons why I started Style of Mary is because I love the way Crown Princess Mary dresses. She knows how to look good and embrace what she has, like long slim legs, a petite upper body and a beautiful face. It's all about finding the clothes, shoes and accessories that fits your body and more importantly your personality. When to choose clothes, your everyday and work also decide what to should wear. Personally, I have a very classic style with feminine items that last for a long time. I love to purcahse a skirt or blouse I know is also trendy five years later. By that I do not only wear black, white and grey. Well, I decided to make this post because I want to share some fashion tricks with you as seen on the Crown Princess. I know many of you are inspired by her, just like me, and with some simple basic rules you can easily build a wardrobe like Mary's. To find some basic items are essential to a fashionable wardrobe. By looking at Mary and her wardrobe, you find that a few essentials can create several amazing outfits. To me it is important to give the message to find clothes that suits your body such as personality and not to forget something that makes you feel good! So, first I want to share my three simple "guidelines":

Embrace your body
The first thing is to find out how you body looks: what shapes does it have? We are not all alike, every single human looks different and that's great! By finding your body type, it will be much easier to find clothes that fits- and highlights your body benefits as I call them. I have spend years trying to find out what figure I have and what makes it looks its best. I'm a classic pear-shape -small upper body, larger hips. It's hard work to be well-dressed. Four typical body figures are hourglass, pear, apple and straight. You find a great article about female figures, here. The article are illustrated with pictures. We have a tendency to dress like everybody else because we think we have the same figure, that's not always the truth. Find your own and love it.

Remember your personal style
Finding your shape is first step on the road to a great basic wardrobe. Then it's important to remember who you are, what you do for a living, how is your everyday and what style do you like. If you're a bit old fashioned then buy lots of fashion magazines and cut everything out you like to find the things you love. If you're more in to using technology then Pinterest is a great choice -I've become a little addicted. Pinterest is also great to give you ideas for your figure. Take a look what you chose. Now you know what suits you and what you like; time to combine. This is not something you learn right away, but practice makes a master you know! You're passion for fashion allow you to learn. 

Wear clothes that makes you feel good
The headline says it all. To me this is so important. Nothing's better tan a woman who wear clothes that makes her feel good. When you feel good in what you wear, it automatically makes you look more confident. Who does not want to look more confident? It all depend on who you are and what you like. Personally, I feel good wearing colourful combinations and vintage dresses.

Black trousers


Black trousers are the perfect piece, despite the plain colour. The thing about basic items is that most of them are in black, white, grey, blue, powder pink or caramel. These piece makes it possible for you to create any outfit you like and in the combination with a bright print or casual accessory. Several times Mary showed us how to wear a pair of black trousers -skinny, wide legged etc. You can match any blouse or jacket to a pair of black trousers. I never owned black trousers, but one day I fell in love with a pair and I haven't regretted it since. I wear them day as night.

A classic blazer (with a touch)


Who says that a basic blazer has to be black or white? If I had to choose I would say everyone should have at least one blazer in a suitable colour for their skin- and hair colour. This item is inspired by the male wardrobe, but works very well for women as well. To wear a blazer gives an a sense of work wear. Wear a blazer over a dress, something we have seen so many times on Mary, or with trousers: printed or plain. Blazer's come in many different silhouettes and I am so sure you will find one that suits you. I'm a fan of blazer's and keep buying new ones all the time. Bad habit. I can't live without mine. Personally, I really want a white blazer in my wardrobe because I fell in love with Mary's model from Alexander McQueen or maybe a red one. 

The coat


Royal's love coats. They are functional, elegant, warm, stylish which makes them the perfect basic item in your wardrobe. No one say's that a coat need to be plain. Take Mary as an example; she's wearing coats in any possible colour. In my opinion coats can be worn by everybody. You just need to find a model that looks good on you. Take some time in a store and try on several different models and see which one you like best. Ask a friend to join you if needed. A coat can be double breasted or single, have a belt or non, have a skirt or be straight etc. There are many to choose from, but invest the time you need and a new coat will be your new best friend.

Pumps


Stilettos are known to embrace a woman's beauty. Wear a pair of pumps and your outfit is transformed. To wear pumps or heeled sandals makes your body straight and you walk with more elegance. Depending on your legs length and figure you can find the right shoes to your shape. It is really all about shape. There are plenty of guides to get advices for which pair of pumps that'll look good on you. I am 162 cm., so I could wear heels all the time without anyone even noticing, but I don't. I have come to love pumps more and more. Think pumps makes everything much better. Mary got a huge shoe collection, but it only takes a couple of heeled shoes to have the essentials. With Mary as example I would say you need pumps in beige, navy blue and black. 

Those sunglasses


Shades you can live without. To find the right sunglasses is as hard as finding the right clothes and accessories. Do me favor, try on different ones and find those how look good on you. Just like dresses, you can get them in all sizes, shapes, colours etc. Mary is a fan of wearing pretty large sunglasses featuring leopard print from both Chanel and Dolce & Gabbana. Cheaper ones can do as good. The shape of your head, skin tone and hair colour is important when choosing your new sunglasses.

That (hand)bag


Every woman need a handbag. Mary has plenty of them in all sizes and colours etc. One for each occasion. As any other accessory, you just have to choose. If you are petite, like me, a huge handbag is not the best one to choose because the dimension is not well-balanced. So choose a handbag for your needs, style and body size. When we talk about basic bags, I have to mention that you also need some kind of clutch. The same rules as for everything else. A clutch is the woman's best friend these years. The beige or caramel coloured bag is always trendy. Think about the beige Chanel bag Mary has; use the last 10 years and is still just fantastic!

A cardigan


Mother and daughter in each their cardigan. Really, a cardigan isn't that exciting at all. I hate spending money of cardigan's because I can't find the right one. I don't think my figure is very well placed in cardigan. Still, I can't live without them. I don't know if you ever heard of the 3-piece outfit? Well, it's pretty simple -select an outfit of three pieces. That's what Mary and Princess Isabella did when Isabella was on her first royal job at Samsø. They made it work so well! I think the key to wear a cardigan in great way, is to match them in the same colour as your blouse or dress.

The little black dress


Actually, we do not that often see Mary in a black dress. She prefers something a little more bright and colourful. The little black dress is loved by almost any woman in the wold. Coco Chanel is told be have "invented" the LBD. How to dress up this classic item all depends on your style. Mary often style her LBD with more black or even golden accessories. But really, black can be matched with almost everything. You never god wrong when choosing one of these little black dresses.

Signature jewellery


If your name is Mary and is Crown Princess of Denmark you love one specific pair of white pearl earrings. You guessed it, her gold and white pearl earrings designed by Marianne Dulong. A basic wardrobe also includes a basic jewellery box. I think this are the pair of earrings she has worn most times as her time as Crown Princess. Basic jewellery are a bit more difficult for to me to tip about, because maybe you have a ring or necklace that means a lot to you -this will automatically be your specific jewellery to wear. To me jewellery are very personal and carries some kind of history. But gold, silver and pearls are always trendy. You're never wrong with these three materials. A watch could also be your statement jewellery.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Camilla! I'm so glad to hear you like the post and I hope you were inspired ;)

      Delete